Sunday, October 6, 2013

Awards Tarnish & Emotions Are Contagious



A quiz for you in the silence of your head space.

1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America pageant.
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer Prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.


How did you do?


The point is, not all of us remember yesterday’s headlines.  These are no second-rate achievers.  They are the best in their fields. 
But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.


Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:


1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.


Easier?


The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. 


They simply are the ones who care the most.


(Philosophy of Charles Schulz, creator of the 'Peanuts' comic strip.) 


I copied this from an email I recently received from my dad - thank YOU, such a good one. And I'm reminded of its truths as I am having the very best, most amazing couple of weeks, receiving completely soul filling words from my friends as we read through our latest book club choice together. It seems they are enjoying the insights and unspoken challenges from the author to self reflect as much as I am. I feel a tad redeemed this month, with all these words, since I'm also responsible for choosing a book in the past for our club that was voted the least liked.


Such positive words from each who has responded - a total balm, even healing enough to smooth over the rips and tears through today's peace from the soccer parents' scowls, gripes, groans and sighs as the boys lost their game. EMOTIONAL CONTAGION - we unconsciously catch emotions from other people.


Loving my friends and all their input right now - thank you, girls!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to be journeying together with you, my friend. AMEN!

Anonymous said...

I'm so very proud of you, my daughter.